- There will be many bankruptcies by municipalities. Some states will either default or laws will be changed to allow them to file for bankruptcy.
- Major battles will erupt over underfunded public pensions and be used by conservatives as a proxy for attacking public unions.
- Major advances in renewable energy, especiallyÂ in offshore wind, solar thermal, and algae biofuel.
- Inflation in commodities will spill over into the generalÂ economy.
- Pitched battles over whether children born in US to illegal immigrants can be citizens.
- Social media, the cloud, and wireless devices will continue to predominate as PCs and ponderous operating system software begins to seem archaic.
- Major protests in the US due to economic conditions. The protests will not come from the left here but will in Europe.
- Extreme weather events will become the new normal.
- Some of the TBTF banks will do exactly that, either by overtly failing, selling off major parts of themselves, or being forced to break into parts.
- The Internet will remain mostly open.
2011 will be tumultuous. Fasten your seat belts. My father-in-law put it well yesterday saying, I usuallly have a pretty good idea of what the new year will be like, but I don’t have a clue for 2011.
What are your predictions?