8 Responses to Google announces operating system

1. Ten Bears Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 6:46 am #

I wonder how much this has to do with this:

Microsoft warns of serious computer security hole

Microsoft warned users Monday about yet another serious security flaw related to its Internet Explorer browser for which there is no fix.

Security firm Symantec said the vulnerability, which affects PCs using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 operating software, is already being taken advantage of by cybercriminals.

It can allow hackers to remotely take control of victims’ machines. The victims don’t need to do anything to get infected except visit websites infected with a tiny bit of code that taps into the security hole.

After drilling down through the available data, my take is it’s a deliberate move by M$ to force people to move away from the relatively safe and stable XP and IE6 or 7 and upgrade to IE8 and Vista, with all their “piracy protections”, keystroke loggers and sordid government spytools. But what do I know, I’m just a blacklisted M$ Certified Systems Engineer. tb

• Bob Morris Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 7:05 am #

Tech blogger Robert Scoble says Microsoft has a major announcement this coming Monday (that he’s embargoed on) hence the Google announcement yesterday.

2. EGrise Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 8:18 am #

I agree, this is a *huge* deal. This might be the thing that finally convinces me to buy a netbook. Now if I can just get my wife to wait until next year to upgrade her laptop!

Another interesting article: Five Things Google’s Chrome OS Will Do for Your Netbook

• Ten Bears Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 8:45 am #

I too have been holding off on a Netbook, if only because the ones I’ve looked at are XP Home, a totally worthless OS. On the otherhand I find myself spending nearly as much time on the Ubuto partition on my beatup old HP dv8000 as the OEM XP Media…

3. computers for less Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

I second that this is huge! Plus the time line from announcement to delivery is great. Like everyone else, I have been researching netbooks and have almost drop the money for one. With a light-weight google os on the horizon, it looks like I will be going with the 16gb or 32gb ssd and not the traditional hard drive.

• Bob Morris Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

Good point. SSD drives will do fine if the OS is only a couple of gigs. And for more storage, just use a thumb drive.

4. DJ Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 9:06 pm #

What? An OS that doesn’t monopolize the system’s resources and require regular hardware upgrades to run at all? Are you nuts? The economy would collapse!

5. Daniel Rivera Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Considering that GMail was in BETA for five years… I wonder if Google Chrome OS will be in BETA for 10!
    Then again, Google’s concept of BETA is other companies’ idea of a Release 2.0: a very very steady production-ready piece of software still being tested on.