I was on the No Labels blogger conference call yesterday mostly out of curiosity, wanting to see what they’re doing which, as it turns out, is quite a lot.
Four senators and two members of the House were at their press conference yesterday lending support to their 12 point plan. It’s simple, makes sense, and can be implemented by Congress today without passing laws. It would reduce gridlock hugely. No Labels say quite a few members of Congress agree something needs to be done, and fast as the current gridlock is the worst since the 1890′s.
Highlights of the No Labels plan:
- No budget, no pay. California did this. It works.
- Fix the filibuster. No filibusters on motions to proceed and make them real. You want a filibuster, you must physically occupy the podium.
- Presidential nominations must be voted on in 90 days or the confirmation is automatically approved.
- Three weeks in DC then one week home for all members of Congress. It’s a job.Everyone works the same hours.
- Allow a bipartisan majority to force bills out of recalcitrant committees and onto the floor.
There’s more. I encourage you to read them. They are easily understandable and most anyone, I think, will agree with most of them. And they have support from members of Congress too. Let’s make them happen.