Windows Secrets has a comprehensive article on how to defend against the Conficker worm, which triggers on Wednesday. While no one is quite sure what it will do (and it’s on millions of computers, mostly in Asia) protecting yourself, they explain, is easy.
If Conficker triggers, it blocks your access to antivirus websites. So, it’s important to take precautions now, before April 1.
- Run Windows Update and get the latest patches.
- Update your third party antivirus software.
- Turn off Auto Run. (And keep it turned off)
- Download a Conficker removal tool, just in case you might need it.
- Run Secunia’s Software Inspector, a free online software scan, to see if any of your non-Microsoft programs need patching.
Windows Secrets has full details.