These excerpts are from a sobering report on Drug Trafficking Organizations (DTOs) from the Congressional Research Service at the Library of Congress titled Mexico’s Drug Trafficking Organizations: Source and Scope of the Rising Violence The two big cartels are Sinaloa and Los Zetas. Sinaloa prefers to corrupt while the Zetas terrorize to get their way. […]
Tag Archives | Mexico drug war
My latest for AZIVN, the new project from CAIVN, focusing on Arizona. While the mainstream media can do an excellent job of reporting about what’s happening on the Mexico side of the border, and about the ever-escalating drug wars, there are a number of blogs that provide critical information and viewpoints you might not find […]
Sylvia Longmire in the New York Times. Marijuana makes up 60 percent of the cartels’ profits, that still leaves another 40 percent, which includes the sale of methamphetamine, cocaine, and brown-powder and black-tar heroin. If marijuana were legalized, the cartels would still make huge profits from the sale of these other drugs. Plus, there’s no […]
20-year-old female criminology student becomes top cop in violent Mexican municipality Everyone else was too scared to take it.
You can’t trust the police or the military either. The root cause of the current horrific violence seems to be that three cartels have declared war on the Zetas. The streets are beyond not safe. Cartels block intersections to hijack cars and rape women. The recent mass execution of those 72 migrants was not an […]
Borderland Beat Organized crime in Mexico today did not form itself in a vacuum, its structure originates from the police and security forces of the Mexican State. That is why this drug war is so bloody and extends to all levels of government and society. The last 30 years of the PRI regime incubated the […]
Scan the headlines in Borderland Beat, a “blog dedicated to the reporting of organized crime on the border line between the US and Mexico,” then ask yourself if the US will somehow be immune from the tsunami of violence and corruption currently overwhelming Mexico. But the US will do little or nothing until it’s too […]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiuZ7dvp2Wg Charles Bowden, author of Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy’s New Killing Fields talks about how there are now 25,000 retail outlets for drugs in Tijuana now, that 23,000 have been killed recently in Mexico as a result of the drug wars, and how US border policies are a failure with corruption […]
A few hours later Mayor of Santiago, Edelmiro Cavazos Leal was kidnapped, tortured, and killed. Members of his own police department have been arrested for involvment in his murder. Edelmiro was one of the good guys. Using the words of his young widow, “Edelmiro’s death shall not be in vain.” He was a loyal and […]
Calderon is already saying it openly. Maybe it’s time to legalize drugs.