The No Agenda podcast with Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak singlehandedly broke the story that US propaganda about supposedly horrendous Russian anti-gay law is bullshit. The legislation is not Draconian. In some ways Russia is more progressive than the US on gays. The faux outrage only started after Snowden went to Russia. It’s about political payback, not justice for LBGT’s.
Email from No Agenda explains:
The astonishing 129 page White Paper ( ‘Russian Federation Anti-Gay Laws : An Analysis & Deconstruction‘) regarding the so-called anti-gay Russian legislation as promoted by the American media and debunked as such by your No Agenda Show and further debunked by white paper author, Brian Heiss, who researched and produced this thorough report.
The entire anti-gay and anti-Putin propaganda stemming solely from the US government may relate to the embarrassing fact that Ed Snowden is using Russia as a sanctuary from the American government. This is a tremendous humiliation to the US State Department. Creating this false narrative about anti-gay Russian sentiment is part of a seemingly never-ending attack on Russia and its Olympics. The Russians must be punished for disobedience. Putin needs to be humiliated.
Heiss is gay, works promoting diversity, and initially started his research to prove Curry and Dvorak wrong, then discovered they were quite correct. BTW, Curry’s daughter is lesbian, and he, his wife, his daughter and her girlfriend were on a float in the recent Amsterdam Gay Pride Parade. He’s no bigot (and while he likes to play the fool, is anything but.)
The fact that both Adam and John are true supporters/allies of the LGBTQQI communityÂ made it impossible to dismiss their analysis superficially; so that Sunday afternoon withÂ great confidence I became a man on a mission: to completely disprove their analysis . This white paper is the product of that mission. I invite you to read this paper and join me on this journey; a journey which included numerous twists and turns, a range ofÂ emotions and enlightenment, all of which I experienced and have tried to represent in my writing.
Excerpts from Weiss’, ‘Things You Didn’t Know About Russia’s Anti-Gay Law & LGBT Rights’
- Â The law never mentions or uses the word gay, lesbian, homosexual or any other LGBT identifier.
- The law focuses on children, its title is “On Protections of Minors from Propaganda of Non-Traditional Sexual Relations”. The messaging and strategy to bring the ban on propaganda from the law of several regions to national laws is part of a larger family values push and is based on the successful anti-same sex marriage push in the United States.
- Statistically you are far more likely to be the victim of an anti-LGBT Hate Crime in the United States than in Russia.
- In Russia you cannot be fired from your job for being an LGBT individual, in the United States you can.
- Since 1993 gay sex was made legal in Russia, in 12 US States gay sex is a crime.
- While President Obama says “I have no patience for countries that try to treat gays or lesbians or transgender persons in ways that intimidate them or are harmful to them.” his policies demonstrate he has nothing but patience.
The law itself is nothing like the hysteria we hear in this country.
The text of the law bans adults from initiating contact with minors/children who do not self identify as LGBT for the express purpose of encouraging the minor/child to explore non-traditional sexual relationships when there had not been interest previously. There is nothing in the legislation that prevents a minor/child who does not openly identify as LGBT but privately seeks out resources as to as they come to terms with their sexuality during that difficult period of adolescence that any of us who identify as LGBT have experienced. In fact, nothing in the legislation prevents LGBT youth resources to provide services to minors who seek out such services.
Although there is much confusion over what the anti-“propaganda” law means, not even its strongest proponents argue that it amounts to the criminalization of homosexuality.