category

Cunningham self-destructs

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, the model for the movie "Top Gun", resigned from office today after pleading guilty to bribery and tax evasion charges that will send him to prison.

"I misled my friends, family and myself. The truth is, I broke the law and disgraced my office and myself," Cunningham said after his plea, breaking into tears at a news conference.

Jailhouse religion? I’m guessing the reason he pled guilty is because he had no defense left. Up until now, he’d been arrogant and swaggering. Now, he and those close to him are feeling serious pain. But really, he’s just another corrupt politician in a corrupt system whose lies finally caught up with him. Plus, well, he wasn’t exactly smart about the whole thing either.

From our Aug 18, 2005 post

Sue, who is a forensic accountant says, don’t try to play hide the money with real estate deals because the paper trails are enormous and obvious. To do so is really really dumb.

Tag: Randy Cunningham

7 Responses to Cunningham self-destructs

1. Cole Stinson Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 3:54 pm #

It was a rather dumb attempt at getting rich via illegal means, wasn’t it?

2. gfm975 Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 5:28 pm #

Top Dog, or was it Top Gun? CNN remembers it as Top Gun…..

3. Bob Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 5:43 pm #

Whoops, Top Gun it is!

Thx..

4. Joe Hartley Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:58 pm #

Jesse Unruh, the guru on all things political in California (and who is buried about 2 blocks from my home), used to scratch his head and report that people came to Sacramento “and assumed that the people back home weren’t watching.” Even if they’re not, the media is, and even the corporate media in this country loves a scandal.

5. Bob Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:18 pm #

When they can rouse themselves from their slumber, that is…

6. John Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 3:38 am #

It went on for some time as nobody in that sweaty greed club we call politics thought much of it as they are all at it to greater or lesser degree. The corporate greed machine and politicians work hand in hand or should that be hand in till.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. StrangeThingsAfoot.com - Mon, Nov 28, 2005

Duck, Rep. Cunningham

The book should be thrown right at the head of this loser, Rep. Duke Cunningham, who, it was discovered, took a ton of money in bribes. He has now resigned and is looking at a possible ten year prison sentence.
    Bob Morris of Politics in the Zeros ma…