It’s time to stop moaning about what Trump might do and instead think and plan about how to oppose and counter him when he gets extreme.
Marxists, socialists, and anarchists have an enormous history of tactics and strategies that can be used by anyone. Saul Alinsky too.
Please note, I did not say be Marxist, socialist or anarchist, only that they have 150 years of experience successfully organizing against and countering right-wing threats and extremism. Learn from them. Adapt the lessons to the current situation.
Alinksy was not ideological. His Rules for Radicals have been used by the right as well as the left to get power and to counter the opposition. 3, 4, and 13 seem especially suited for now.
What do you think?
Alinky’s Rules for Radicals
1. Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.
2. Never go outside the expertise of your people.
3. Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.
4. Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.
5. Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
6. A good tactic is one your people enjoy.
7. A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.
8. Keep the pressure on. Never let up.
9. The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.
10. The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
11. If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.
12. The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.
13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.