1. Protest. Get in the streets. Make some noise. For some reason the current protests are making Trumpsters foam at the mouth in anger so we should absolutely keep doing them. And let them know that protest is as American as apple pie as well as a constitutionally guaranteed right. Keep protests peaceful so they don’t have ammo to use against us.
The ANSWER Coalition is organizing a protest on Inauguration Day in DC. It’ll be huge. They have lawyers, will have permits, and are seasoned organizers. I can’t think of a better way to say hello to President Trump than several hundred thousand people in the street protesting him as the whole world watches.
2. Call your Congress members to protest, cajole, convince them of things. Calls are the most effective. Net petitions are meaningless. Call 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to senators and representatives.
3. Join organizations that will confront and fight the crap to come. That includes the ACLU, EFF, and Our Revolution. Join local groups too.
4. Realize the coming months and years will be bumpy and probably more than a bit crazed. However, this country has gotten through worse. I would not be at all surprised if the Trump presidency, due to huge overreaching, alienating multiple constituencies, trying to privatize popular things like Medicare and national parks, blatant racism and xenophobia, and not being able to deliver on campaign promises, will be seriously damaged soon enough. Will it get ugly along the way? Yes. However, that’s all the more reason to get involved now.
5. Realize this cannot be won on the internet alone. The battles will be won face to face talking to people, organizing. That’s why it’s important to keep channels open. Trump supporters may start having doubts (some already are.) But you can’t convince them of anything if you’ve blocked them on Facebook or in real life. Also, support Trump when he does things we like, like blocking the odious TPP.
5. Be optimistic. Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.